How would your life be different if you stopped talking about yourself behind your own back?
This week in our Women's Discovery Circle we will be performing one of our most popular rituals—taught to me by my mentor Sobonfu Somé—for setting intentions around personal abundance, bounty and manifesting desires.
There are a few stages in this ritual—including a physical crossroads—where we experience ourselves poised at the point of pure potential asking— what personal power do I need to call on or call in, to power up these intentions?
It got me thinking—when I was in what could have been a sticky situation this week—that there are crossroads in our daily life that we also need to call our personal power into.
Crossroads are about choice, consequence, and deciding in what direction we want to go. When I was in this situation there was a deciding moment where I could have re-acted (and even over reacted), but I chose to call in compassion instead. I’m not saying it was easy (especially if you know this fire woman) and I haven’t always been all Dalai Lama like this in the past, when standing at this same crossroads.
1 - I thought about the times when I hadn’t, and I reflected on where I would have ended up—with some pain, some future reconciliation needed, and maybe even—quite the opposite of empowering my intentions—with the possibility of having blowing trust up completely.
2 - I have different intentions for this situation now, and I want it to turn out differently. Positively, with a way forward into the future.
- Before you send that text to your partner that’s going to cause a fight…
- Make that comment to your co-worker that will create a tension filled day in the office…
- Turn a teachable moment with your kids, into a lesson that will have to be unlearned…
- Join in with a negative opinion of someone else…
- Decide to care only if it’s convenient…
- Turn to negative self talk that’s going to ruin the rest of your day…
See if you have it in you to make another choice that transforms:
- Consumed by anger into empowered by compassion.
- Laid out by negative self talk to being grounded by self love.
- Overwhelmed by peer pressure into being centered by peace-of-mind (and soul).
- Disappointment with outcomes into embracing the possibility of no expectations.
Next time you stand at any crossroads in your life—physical, mental or emotional—choose to be guided by the true north of our own personal power, and to align with your Highest and best self, or as Sobonfu calls her, the “well, healthy powerful being who has chosen to bring something unique into this world.”
Susan Hough is your Coach and Guide at Living Your Gifts. She combines the best modalities-traditional, energetic or indigenous-to help you navigate the distance between the person you are now, and the person you came here to be. Learn more here. Find out about this Thursday's event in Laguna Beach, here.
© 2016 Living Your Gifts, LLC | All rights reserved.
It's 2016...another year...and another moment of anxiety--feeling like you want this year to be different...but you don't know how to make it happen. After all you tried last year…and maybe the year before. HINT: You Don’t Have to Change EVERYTHING in Your Life in Order for 2016 To Be Your Best Year and Your Best YOU Yet.